My desire to work with children has always influenced my professional goals. My career began as an elementary school teacher in the Miller Creek School District in San Rafael, California. As a classroom teacher for 8 years, I developed special relationships with my students and families which made a lasting impression on me. Ultimately, it was these teaching relationships which drove my desire to work individually with children and families as a Licensed Marriage & Family Therapist.
Training & Experience
After obtaining a Master’s degree in Counseling Psychology, from Dominican University, I continued my work with youth (ages 2-18) as a therapist in both school-based and community mental health settings. My clinical experiences provided me a strong foundation in child development and family systems. I have experience treating Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), depression, anxiety, ADHD, Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD), and other disruptive behavior disorders, and I have supported countless teens through crisis and adjustments to significant life transitions. Recently, I’ve combined my love for teaching and psychology as a Clinical Supervisor for MFT’s in training, in both my private practice and school counseling settings.
My interest in attachment and parenting increased with the birth of my child and led me to seek additional training in several parenting models. After completing an intensive training program in Parent-Child Interaction Therapy (PCIT), I was inspired by the effectiveness of this approach and have incorporated it into my private practice work with families.
Certainly, the best type of parent training I’ve had to date has been becoming a parent myself. My own personal experiences help me deeply understand the joys and challenges of parenthood and contribute to my compassionate and empathic approach when working with families.
Education and Training
- Dominican University, San Rafael, California: Master of Science in Counseling Psychology, with MFT Specialization
- Dominican University, San Rafael, California: Multiple-Subject Teaching Credential
- University of California at Davis: Bachelor of Arts in Psychology & Child Development
- Parent-Child Interaction Therapy (PCIT) Certification
- Certified Positive Discipline Parent Educator
- Triple P Positive Parenting Coach Accreditation
- Trauma-Focused CBT
- Effects of Complex Trauma on Health, Emotional Development & School Functioning
- Attachment Theory and Trauma
- Brief Intervention for Substance Using Adolescents